Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Olaudah Equiano

   Olaudah Equiano was one of the most moving African writers before Frederick Douglas. In his piece, The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, or Gustavas Vassa, the African, Written by Himself, he tells his story. In the beginning of his narrative, this is not necessarily a call to action. Unlike Tecumseh, Equiano is simply writing about his autobiography. Tecumseh was filled with rage in his writings and speeches, but Equiano takes measures to ensure that he doesn't offend his readers.
   "I hope the reader will not think I have trespassed on his patience in introducing myself to him, with some account of the manners and customs of my country. The had been implanted in me with great care, and made an impression on my mind, which time could not erase, and which all the adversity and variety of fortune I have since experienced, served only to rivet and record; whether the love of one's country be real or imaginary, or a lesson of reason, or an instinct of nature, I still look back with pleasure on the first scenes of my life, though  that pleasure has been for the most part mingled with sorrow."
  Olaudah does not press his views on his readers, unlike Tecumseh. He simply states that he was born into a different culture, and it cannot be taken from him or forgotten easily. He does not apologize for it though, and that is one thing that he shares with Tecumseh. They are both proud of their cultures.
   Equiano shows us what it was like to be a slave during this era. He opens a window that we haven't opened yet ourselves in this text book. We are now beginning to read about life in slavery and the struggle that comes with trying to be free. I enjoyed reading Olaudah Equiano's narrative; it felt like I was reading a story (which I was). It is nice to read something that isn't focused on Puritan ways or Native American folklore for once :)

No comments:

Post a Comment